Standard Bank is a leading South African bank with a vision to be the leading financial services organization in and for Africa. We will share our vision, greatest challenges, and most valuable lessons learned on our journey towards enterprise adoption of a big data strategy.
This includes our implementation of: a multi-tenant enterprise data lake, a real time streaming capability, appropriate data management and governance principles, a data science workbench, and a process for model productionisation to support data science teams across the Group and across Africa and Europe.
1. Our journey from a POC environment to investment in a fully scaled production environment
2. What to do about skills?
• Building a skills base from the ground up
3. Living on the edge
• Setting up multiple tenants/ teams on the lake
4. Getting secured
• Kerberos/ Centrify/ Active Directory—having to create new standards for the Group
5. Data science workbench
• Establishment of the Data Science Guild
• Encouraging multi-tenancy as opposed to multiple clusters
• Managing more than 30 tooling requests at a time and establishing agreed standards
• Data science use cases
6. Getting our priorities straight
• With demand growing to productionise models based on proven use cases by multiple data science teams that had been built out in their sandbox environments we established a rigid prioritization process.
7. Building an enterprise lake and not a swamp
• Integrating with our enterprise data governance programme
8. Supporting geographically dispersed regions (Rest-of-Africa and Wealth Jersey)
9. Our NEXT (the way forward)